Gum disease is very common among people of all ages. You must have seen a little blood in your sink while brushing your teeth. This blood signifies that you have got gum disease. When only your gum is affected, it is called gingivitis. It must be treated as soon as it is identified, or else it can grow into a more serious infection called periodontitis. You can visit gum disease treatment in Melbourne centres for gum checkups and get your gum treated to avoid the risk of developing other major diseases.
Most professional dentists carry out two types of treatments. They are the non-surgical treatment and the surgical treatment.
These are the treatments that do not involve any kind of surgery.
- Dental CleaningWhile you go for gum disease treatment in Melbourne dental care, the dentist will conduct a checkup and remove the tartar and plaque from around the gum. If they find anything in your gum that signifies gum disease, they may recommend a cleaning session thrice a year. Dental cleaning may help you to stop the emergence of gum disease.
- Scaling and Root PlaningThese are the two parts of deep cleaning. Scaling refers to the process of removing tartar and plaque, whereas root planing refers to the smoothening of the roots of the teeth to let the gum get attached to the teeth again. Both scaling and root planing are done together and takes around two to three visits to complete. Sometimes local anesthesia is also done to continue this process.
These are the treatments that include surgery and are mostly carried out with the help of various surgical tools. These treatments are usually done when the gum condition becomes serious and medication does not affect the gum.
- Bone graftsThe process of bone grafting involves the use of synthetic bone or your own bone to replace the bone that has been destroyed by gum disease. The regrowth of the bone provides stability to the teeth. You can also go for gum disease treatment at Croydon dental care, where the dentists carry out this process quite efficiently.
- Tissue regenerationThe tissue regeneration process is usually done when the bone that supports the teeth gets destroyed completely. This procedure enhances the growth of the tissue in the bone and the gum. This procedure is conducted along with the pocket reduction surgery by inserting a mesh-like fabric between the tissue of your gum and the bone. The tissue regeneration helps the tissue of the gum from growing into any area where the bone of the teeth should be.
- Pocket reduction surgeryPocket reduction surgery is another name for flap surgery. While carrying out this process, the tartar and the plaque is removed by shifting back the gums. After the procedure is over, the gums are again pulled back to make them attach to the tooth. This process is responsible for lessening the space between your teeth and your gums, which in turn reduces the space where harmful bacteria can grow again.
- Bone surgeryBone surgery is conducted by great professional dentists at the gum disease treatment in Melbourne dental care. Due to loss of bones, shallow craters are formed in the bone. This process of bone surgery smoothes the shallow craters and hence, makes it difficult for the bacteria to grow back again.
Gum disease is a major problem, and it must be treated at an early stage. One must identify the symptoms associated with gum disease and consult a dentist to get it cured. The above-mentioned treatments will take place depending on the seriousness of your dental problem. Surgical treatment can be avoided if you consult a doctor at the first stage of your gum disease. So, what are you waiting for? Maroondah Dental Care is one of the reliable options for you.